Year 2011 Programs
In 2011, the Chinese Intellectual Property Resource Center sponsored the following programs:
March 9, 2011: A.M. - Commencement Exercises for January 2011 SIPO LL.M. Graduates in Beijing.
- Congratulations to our LL.M. Graduates! (see announcements from SIPO in Chinese and in English.)
March 9, 2011: P.M. - A presentation on International Trade Commission Proceedings and Issues by Ben Hattenbach of Irell & Manell, LLP at the China Intellectual Property Training Center, Beijing, China.
- Please see the announcement from China Intellectual Property Training Center here.
May 12, 2011: 12-2:00 pm - Chinese IP Nuts & Bolts Lecture Series: Dos and Don'ts on Chinese Patent Applications.
- Featuring Jay Sha (LL.M. '90, J.D. '98), a partner at the law firm Liu, Shen & Associates in China. Proposed topics: 1. What NOT to put in Chinese Patent Applications 2. The MUST-HAVES in Chinese Patent Applications.
May 14-19, 2011: - INTA Annual Meeting.
- The Center for Intellectual Property Law and Chinese IP Resource Center will participate in the INTA annual meeting! Our booth number is 210. We welcome you to stop by to learn about exciting programs at CIP and CIPRC! See you there!
June - July - China IP Summer Program
- To complete the full circle of Sino-US Moot Court Programs, the 2011 China IP Summer Program will feature Chief Judge Randall R. Rader of the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit presiding over a Sino-US comparative appellate moot court program.
July - November - Groups of visiting SIPO/ACPAA delegates.
- Depending on availability of the ACPAA delegation, the CIPRC may request the delegates to provide a Chinese patent litigation Q&A panel.
August 16, 2011 - 12-2 pm; Room 1753 - Chinese Intellectual Property Lecture Series
- Featuring Judge Dongtao Li: Judging the Internet
- Chinese Internet activities and copyright developments have been subjected to harsh criticisms outside China in the past 10 years. While stronger protection and faster adherence to known standards are desirable, Chinese courts have been steadfast in formulating a body of copyright cases in accordance with Chinese copyright law.
- Judge Dongtao Li, an experienced IP judge of a Beijing trial court, will shed some lights on the development and progress of copyright law, such as copyright issues related to electronic books, etc. Li will present landmark Internet-related cases in the last 12 years before his court and will host an open dialogue to discuss the future of copyright law in China.
August 23, 2011 - 9:00 am - noon; Room 1200 - Chinese Intellectual Property Lecture Series
- Implications of the Third Amendment to China's Patent Law
- Featuring Professor WEN Xikai of China Intellectual Property Training Center of SIPO.
- The Third Amendment to the Chinese Patent Law (Third Amendment) that went into effect in October 2009 made significant changes that further define the maturity of Chinese patent law. The new law, for example, defines prior public uses in countries outside China as a priority-destroying prior art. In addition, the new law prescribes that “no patent right shall be granted for any invention creation which is completed on the basis of genetic resources the acquisition or use of which breaches the stipulations of the laws and administrative regulations.” Gan Shaoning, deputy commissioner of the State Intellectual Property Office (SIPO) of the People’s Republic of China, is leading a delegation to mark the official opening of the Chinese Intellectual Property Resource Center at The John Marshall Law School. The delegation includes Professor Wen Xikai, a former deputy director general of the Law and Treaty Department of SIPO, who will discuss the legislative drafting undertaking of the Third Amendment.
- Presentation to include panel discussion featuring Professor Wen Xikai; Hon. James F. Holderman, chief judge of the United States Distirct Court, Northern District of Illinois; Hon. Sharon Barner (ret.), partner at Foley & Lardner LLP; and Jeff Duncan, partner at Brinks Hofer Gilson & Lione.
August 23, 2011 - Ribbon Cutting Ceremony for the Chinese Intellectual Property Resource Center
September 19-23, 2011 - Dr. Lulin Gao's Master class on Chinese patent law and practice.
October 24, 2011 - Chinese Intellectual Property Law Lecture Series: The latest on IPR enforcements in China: Patent, Trade dress, Custom Protections and More!
To register, please sign-up here.